Brian L. Badman, MD Fellowship Trained and Board Certified Shoulder Surgeon
Dr. Badman is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder and elbow disorders. Being a Hoosier native, born and bred in Fighting Irish country of South Bend, he attended Indiana University for both undergraduate and medical education. As an undergraduate, Dr. Badman was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society and graduated Summa Cum Laude. While in medical school he was also honored for his academic achievements by being invited into the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. He completed his orthopedic residency at the University of Florida-Gainesville in 2005 and then finished one of the most prestigious and competitive shoulder and elbow fellowships in the United States at the Florida Orthopedic Institute in Tampa in 2006 under the mentorship of both Dr. Mighell and Dr. Frankle (the American designer of the Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis, DJO Surgical) In 2014, Dr. Badman became the third person in Indiana to be invited into the American Shoulder and Elbow Society.
Dr. Badman joined American Health Network in 2011 and became the founding member of AHN Bone and Spine. His practice emphasis is on both sports related injuries of the shoulder as well as degenerative and traumatic conditions. His expertise includes total shoulder replacement, reverse shoulder replacement, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic labral repair, arthroscopic bicep tenodesis, and fracture related care of the shoulder. Dr. Badman remains heavily involved in research and education. He is an associate editor for the Journal of Orthopedic Trauma and has authored over 15 peer reviewed articles on various shoulder and elbow conditions. He also serves as volunteer academic faculty for the Indiana University School of Medicine where he teaches the orthopedic residents proper technique on shoulder and elbow surgery. He also is a part of the fellowship training for the Hand to Shoulder Center, educating the fellows on shoulder specific problems. He remains at the cutting edge of shoulder related surgery and routinely educates other physicians at regional and national meetings on the latest and greatest developments in shoulder technologies and advancements.
Dr. Badman greatly understands that patients have a choice in their orthopedic care. He and his staff pride themselves on communication and excellent patient service. He is committed to remaining a leader in his field and providing the best shoulder and elbow care possible to his patients.
Meet the Doctor - Brian L. Badman, MD
Welcome to My Practice - Brian L. Badman, MD
- Badman B.L., Rechtine G.R.; Spinal Considerations in the Competitive Diver; Spine J.2004 Sep-Oct;4(5):584-90. Review.
- Badman B.L., Rill L, Butkovich B., Arreola M., VanderGriend R.; Radiation Exposure with Use of the Miniature C-arm for Routine Orthopedic Procedures; JBJS;2005Jan;87-A(1):13-7.
- Badman B.L.; Mighell M; Drake G; Proximal Humeral Nonunions: Surgical Technique with Fibular Strut Allograft and Fixed-Angle Locked Plating; Techniques in Shoulder & Elbow Surgery; 2006 7(2): 95-101
- McCall TA, Conrad B, Badman B, Wright T.Volar versus dorsal fixed-angle fixation of dorsally unstable extra-articular distal radius fractures: a biomechanic study.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2007 Jul-Aug;32(6):806-12
- Badman B.L., Mighell M. Fixed-Angle Locked Plating of Two-, Three- and Four-Part Proximal Humeral Fractures; Surgical Techniques; JAAOS, Vol 16, No 5, May 2008, 294-302.
- Badman B.L., Kalandiak S, Prasarn M, Mighell M. Proximal Humeral Nonunions Treated with Fixed-Angle Locked Plating and anIntramedullary Strut Allograft; Journal of Orthopedic Trauma. 23(3)March 2009: 173-179.
- Badman B.L., Levy JC. Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for Acute Four-Part Fracture: Tuberosity Fixation Using a Horseshoe Graft; Techniques in Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 10(2):76-82, June 2009.
- Mighell M, Virani NA, Echols EL, Shannon R, Badman B.L., Keating CJ.Large Coronal Shear Fractures of the Capitellum and Trochlea Treated with HeadlessCompression Screws; JSES. 19(1):38-45, January 2010.
- Klein SM, Badman B.L., Keating CJ, Devinney DS, Frankle M, Mighell MA; Results of Surgical Treatment for Unstable Distal Clavicle Fractures; JSES. 19(7):1049-55, October 2010.
- Levy JC, Badman B.L.; Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for Acute 4-Part Fracture: Tuberosity Fixation Using a Horseshoe Graft-Technical Trick:JOT. 25(5):318-324, May 2011.
- Badman B.L.,Frankle M, Mighell M, Keating CJ, Henderson L, Brooks C, Mighell M; Results of Proximal Humeral Locked Plating with Supplemental Suture Fixation of Rotator Cuff; JSES. 20(4):616-24, June 2011.
- Walker M,Palumbo B, Badman B.L., Brooks JP, Van Gelderan J, Mighell MA; Humeral Shaft Fractures: a Review: JSES. 20(5):833-44, July 2011.
- Willis MP, Brooks JP, Badman B.L., Gaines RJ, Mighell MA, Sanders RW; Treatment of Atrophic Diaphyseal Humeral Nonunions with Compressive Locked Plating and Augmented with an Intramedullary Strut Allograft; JOT. 27(2):77-81, February 2013.
- Radiation Exposure with Use of the Mini-C-Arm for Routine Orthopaedic Imaging Procedures
- Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for Acute Four-Part Fracture
- Spinal Injury Considerations in the Competitive Diver: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
- Large Coronal Shear Fractures of the Capitellum and Trochlea Treated with Headless Compression Screws
- Results of Surgical Treatment for Unstable Distal Clavicular Fractures
- Humeral Shaft Fractures: A Review
- Proximal Humeral Nonunions Treated With Fixed-Angle Locked Plating and an Intramedullary Strut Allograf
- Fixed-angle Locked Plating of Two-, Three-, and Four-part Proximal Humerus Fractures
- Results of Proximal Humeral Locked Plating with Supplemental Suture Fixation of Rotator Cuff
- Proximal Humeral Nonunions: Surgical Technique with Fibular Strut Allograft and Fixed-Angle Locked Platin
1992-1993I.U. Honors Program
1992-1996Andrea Redman Academic Scholarship
1993Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honors Fraternity Indiana University; Bloomington, IN
1995Phi Beta Kappa Indiana University; Bloomington, IN
19961996 Summa Cum Laude Indiana University; Bloomington, IN
2000Alpha Omega Alpha Indiana University School of Medicine
2014American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
2014Outstanding Teacher Award---IU Orthopedic Department