Brian L. Badman, MD Orthopedic Surgeon — Shoulder and Elbow Specialist
Dr. Badman is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder and elbow disorders. Being a Hoosier native, born and bred in Fighting Irish country of South Bend, he attended Indiana University for both undergraduate and medical education. As an undergraduate, Dr. Badman was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society and graduated Summa Cum Laude. While in medical school he was also honored for his academic achievements by being invited into the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. He completed his orthopedic residency at the University of Florida-Gainesville in 2005 and then finished one of the most prestigious and competitiveshoulder and elbow fellowships in the United States at the Florida Orthopedic Institute in Tampa in 2006 under the mentorship of both Dr. Mighell and Dr. Frankle (the American designer of the Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis, DJO Surgical) In 2014, Dr. Badman became the third person in Indiana to be invited into the American Shoulder and Elbow Society and was advanced to active level in 2021.
Dr. Badman has a passion for bothsports related injuries of the shoulder as well as degenerative and traumatic conditions. His expertise includes total shoulder replacement, reverse shoulder replacement, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic labral repair, arthroscopic bicep tenodesis, and fracture related care of the shoulder. Dr. Badman remains heavily involved in research and education. He is an associate editor for the Journal of Orthopedic Trauma and has authored over 15 peer reviewed articles on various shoulder and elbow conditions. He also serves as volunteer academic faculty for the Indiana University School of Medicine where he teaches the orthopedic residents proper technique on shoulder and elbow surgery. He has also served as part of the fellowship training for the Hand to Shoulder Center, educating the fellows on shoulder specific problems. He remains at the cutting edge of shoulder related surgery and routinely educates other physicians at regional and national meetings on the latest and greatest developmentsin shoulder technologies and advancements.
Dr. Badman greatly understands that patients have a choice in their orthopedic care. He and his staff pride themselves on communication and excellent patient service. He is committed to remaining a leader in his field and providing the best shoulder and elbow care possible to his patients.
Meet the Doctor - Brian L. Badman, MD
Welcome to My Practice - Brian L. Badman, MD
- Badman B.L, Rechtine G.R.; Spinal Considerations in the Competitive Diver; Spine J. 2004 Sep-Oct;4(5):584-90. Review.
- Badman B.L., Rill L, Butkovich B., Arreola M., VanderGriend R.; Radiation Exposure with Use of the Miniature C-arm for Routine Orthopedic Procedures; JBJS; 2005 Jan;87-A(1):13-7.
- Badman B.L.; Mighell M; Drake G; Proximal Humeral Nonunions: Surgical Technique with Fibular Strut Allograft and Fixed-Angle Locked Plating; Techniques in Shoulder & Elbow Surgery; 2006 7(2): 95-101
- McCall TA, Conrad B, Badman B, Wright T. Volar versus dorsal fixed-angle fixation of dorsally unstable extra-articular distal radius fractures: a biomechanic study. J Hand Surg [Am]. 2007 Jul-Aug; 32(6):806-12
- Badman B.L., Mighell M. Fixed-Angle Locked Plating of Two-, Three- and Four-Part Proximal Humeral Fractures; Surgical Techniques; JAAOS, Vol 16, No 5, May 2008, 294-302.
- Badman BL, Kalandiak S, Prasarn M, Mighell M. Proximal Humeral Nonunions Treated with Fixed-Angle Locked Plating and an Intramedullary Strut Allograft; Journal of Orthopedic Trauma. 23(3) March 2009: 173-179.
- Badman BL, Levy JC. Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for Acute Four-Part Fracture: Tuberosity Fixation Using a Horseshoe Graft; Techniques in Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 10(2):76-82, June 2009.
- Mighell M, Virani NA, Echols EL, Shannon R, Badman BL, Keating CJ. Large Coronal Shear Fractures of the Capitellum and Trochlea Treated with Headless Compression Screws; JSES. 19(1):38-45, January 2010.
- Klein SM, Badman BL, Keating CJ, Devinney DS, Frankle M, Mighell MA; Results of Surgical Treatment for Unstable Distal Clavicle Fractures; JSES. 19(7):1049-55, October 2010.
- Levy JC, Badman BL; Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for Acute 4-Part Fracture: Tuberosity Fixation Using a Horseshoe Graft-Technical Trick: JOT. 25(5):318-324, May 2011.
- Badman BL, Frankle M, Mighell M, Keating CJ, Henderson L, Brooks C, Mighell M; Results of Proximal Humeral Locked Plating with Supplemental Suture Fixation of Rotator Cuff; JSES. 20(4):616-24, June 2011.
- Walker M, Palumbo B, Badman BL, Brooks JP, Van Gelderan J, Mighell MA; Humeral Shaft Fractures: a Review: JSES. 20(5):833-44, July 2011.
- Willis MP, Brooks JP, Badman BL, Gaines RJ, Mighell MA, Sanders RW; Treatment of Atrophic Diaphyseal Humeral Nonunions with Compressive Locked Plating and Augmented with an Intramedullary Strut Allograft; JOT. 27(2):77-81, February 2013.
- Badman BL, Baessler AM, Moor M; Short-term clinical outcomes and comparison of ultrasound versus magnetic resonance imaging of superior capsular reconstruction; Arthrosc Sports Med Rehabil. 2020 Apr 16;2(3):e229-e235
- Badman BL, Baessler AM, Conrad DJ, Creighton J, Moor M; Effectiveness of single shot liposomal bupivacaine for reduction post-operative pain and narcotic use following outpatient rotator cuff surgery: a prospective double-blinded randomized controlled trial; JBJS Scientific Articles: 09 October 2020 - Publish Ahead of Print
- Badman BL, Levy JC, Polisetty T, Baessler AM; Onlay versus inlay reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a retrospective comparison of clinical and radiographic follow-up; Seminars in Shoulder Arthroplasty, JSES. 31(2):202-20, December 2020
- Badman BL, Lee A, Diaz M, Gorman II A, Gudeman A, Caballero J, Simon, P; Reducing Risk of Acromial Stress Fracture After Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Biomechanical Analysis of Flowable Injectable Calcium Bone Void Filler on Acromial Tensile Stresses; Seminars in Shoulder Arthroplasty; 31(3): 480-487, September 2021
- Cox JL, Laughlin MS, Hussein AE, Badman BL, Ziegler DW, Buford DA, Kruse KK; Determination of Rotator Cuff Reparability: An Ultrasound-based Investigation; Accepted JSES 2021
- Seetharam A, Ghosh P, Prado R, Badman BL; Trends in Outpatient Shoulder Arthroplasty during the COVID-19 era: Increased Proportion of Outpatient Cases with Decrease in 90-day Readmissions; Accepted JSES 2021
- Atrophic Diaphyseal Humeral Nonunions
- Flowable calcium acromion article
- Radiation Exposure with Use of the Mini-C-Arm for Routine Orthopaedic Imaging Procedures
- Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for Acute Four-Part Fracture
- Single-Shot Liposomal Bupivacaine Reduces Postoperative Narcotic Use Following Outpatient Rotator Cuff Repair
- Short-Term Clinical Outcomes and Comparison of Ultrasound Versus Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Superior Capsular Reconstruction
- Spinal Injury Considerations in the Competitive Diver: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
- Large Coronal Shear Fractures of the Capitellum and Trochlea Treated with Headless Compression Screws
- Results of Surgical Treatment for Unstable Distal Clavicular Fractures
- Humeral Shaft Fractures: A Review
- Proximal Humeral Nonunions Treated With Fixed-Angle Locked Plating and an Intramedullary Strut Allograf
- Fixed-angle Locked Plating of Two-, Three-, and Four-part Proximal Humerus Fractures
- Results of Proximal Humeral Locked Plating with Supplemental Suture Fixation of Rotator Cuff
- Proximal Humeral Nonunions: Surgical Technique with Fibular Strut Allograft and Fixed-Angle Locked Platin
- Onlay Versus Inlay
1992-1993I.U. Honors Program
1992-1996Andrea Redman Academic Scholarship
1993Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honors Fraternity Indiana University; Bloomington, IN
1995Phi Beta Kappa Indiana University; Bloomington, IN
19961996 Summa Cum Laude Indiana University; Bloomington, IN
2000Alpha Omega Alpha Indiana University School of Medicine
2014American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
2014Outstanding Teacher Award---IU Orthopedic Department